Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Chapter 7 - Web Who.0

This chapter is all about Web 2.0 what is means for users and the internet in terms of definitions, changes, uses, etc. He defines Web 2.0 as " refers to those sites that allow users to generate their own content and share that content among other users" (page 120 second full paragraph on page). But I thought the most interesting way of putting it was what he said on page 120 at the very top "What changed was that, rather than circulating content created by content publishers, such as portals or the online versions of newspapers and magazines, in May 2005, we began circulating content created in dorm rooms, on webcams, in basements and home offices. A select number of internet users had become the content creaters."

Tancer goes on to discuss the Pareto Principle 80/20 rule and how that rule has become less useful in terms of who produces and consumes info in today's 2.0 world. And because the rule we are programmed to refer to is not accurate Jakob Neilsen created a new theory and rule. Neilson came up with the 1-9-90 rule which is that 90% of online users are "lurkers" who just use and look but do not add or edit content, 9% contribute occasionally, and only 1% are active contributors. So of course Tancer is interested and creates a study to test the rule with three sites: YouTube, Flickr, and Wikipedia. He finds it to be true but a bit of a sliding scale.

Then he gets into Facebook and creates his own page. After he gains over 1,000 friends of varying ages and backgrounds he starts to see what all you can gain/learn from Facebook and similar networks. I enjoyed the part about his friend Lauren's comments on facebook and the "stalking" aspect of it. This leads to Tancer asking when is all this information too much information?

I found it entertaining his discussion on TripAdvisor and the normalcy of knowing all about a place before you go there from reviews and comments because I do that. I don't know I actually learned anything from his discussion about it other than I just agreed I do it and I like it. I am a huge opentable.com girl. That topic lead into the topic of generational expectation gaps and the restaurant example of plate clearing expectations between a young contemporary and an older affluent suburbanite. So true I think.

Lastly he talks about the dying of paper newspapers and people's news gathering shifts from news outlets traditionally used to alternative sources like blogs. I am not convinced that newspapers are out though, I do agree they have been hurt by all this but I don't see them disappearing. We shall see..

Sorry this is more summary than thoughts but I thought this chapter covered many topics on Web 2.0 so it is important to note them for remembering later.

No comments:

Post a Comment